The Presidents Cup unveils The Presidents Cup Fan ExperienceSeptember 03, 2013
DUBLIN, Ohio – In just one month, fans from around the globe will descend upon Muirfield Village Golf Club to watch the best players in the world tee it up for the first day of competition at The Presidents Cup, but there is much more to the event than thrilling match-play golf. Tournament officials announced details for The Presidents Cup Fan Experience, which will offer fans and local residents a place to enjoy food and beverages, entertainment, shopping and a variety of interactive displays throughout tournament week. The Presidents Cup Fan Experience is located on approximately 3 acres just outside the main gates at Muirfield Village Golf Club and is open to the public, with no ticket required.
The Presidents Cup – a team, match-play competition featuring 24 of the world’s top golfers – comes to Muirfield Village Golf Club in Dublin, Ohio, Oct. 1-6.
The Fan Experience will open on Friday, Sept. 27, for a private party in honor of the more than 1,500 volunteers who help make The Presidents Cup possible. From Saturday, Sep. 28, through Monday, Sept. 30, the Merchandise Tent at the Fan Experience will be open, allowing fans to gear up, literally, for the event. Then it’s “come one, come all” as the full Fan Experience opens on Tuesday, Oct. 1, to coincide with the Admission Gates opening for The Presidents Cup. The full schedule is as follows:
Saturday, September 28, and Sunday, Sept. 29: 10 a.m. – 3 p.m. (Merchandise Tent only)
Monday, Sept. 30: 9 a.m. – 3 p.m. (Merchandise Tent only)
Tuesday, Oct. 1: 7:30 a.m. – 6 p.m.
Wednesday, Oct. 2: 7:30 a.m. – 6 p.m.
Thursday, Oct. 3: 7:30 a.m. – 7:30 p.m.
Friday, Oct. 4, through Sunday, Oct. 6: 7:30 a.m. – 8 p.m.
A 15,000-square-foot merchandise tent will feature Official Presidents Cup merchandise that is sure to sell quickly once the tournament starts, especially collectables like pin flags featuring players names from each team; commemorative belt buckles, lapel pins and cuff links; and custom-embroidered hats and putter and driver head covers. Fans can shop early in an attempt to “dress like the team” with authentic team uniforms from Peter Millar (International Team), Ashworth (U.S. Team), Sun Mountain and Imperial Headwear. There will be a section dedicated to all things red, white and blue to allow U.S. Team fans to get patriotic with gloves, hats, apparel, tumblers, bracelets and golf towels, as well as blue-and-yellow items for International Team fans.
And there’s no excuse for not loading up with gear. The FedEx Shipping Tent offers fans a convenient way to ship their purchases home and avoid the hassle of carrying items around the Fan Experience or into Muirfield Village Golf Club.
The 13,000-square-foot interactive zone will keep adults and kids alike busy for hours. Here’s a sampling the activities featured inside.
- Get your golf on with lessons from local PGA of America members, hitting nets, a golf simulator, a miniature golf course and a long-putt and chipping challenge.
- Kids can blow off steam on the pedal-cart track or by racing a variety of remote-control cars.
- At the Oakley O-Lab, fans can use their favorite colors to match an outfit or support the U.S. or International Team with custom-made red-white-and-blue sunglasses (or blue and yellow). Or they can go collegiate and support their alma maters; the possibilities are endless and totally up to the individual. Fans can also try on sunglasses as they take a few swings in the Oakley-sponsored hitting bays to learn more about ways Oakley’s products can enhance their golf games.
The Fan Experience will also include the following activites.
- The CDW Technoliner is a state-of-the-art mobile data center and conference facility that offers “techies” the chance to explore the CDW solutions they can incorporate into their own business.
- The Humana Well-Being Tour, a 53-foot tractor trailer and mobile wellness center, has traveled across the United States to educate and challenge people to live healthier lives. The Well-Being Tour includes opportunities to learn about and measure biometrics, participate in healthy, fun games and register for the Humana Walkit program to track steps both on and off the course.
- Fans can purchase The Presidents Cup Radio ($20 or $15 if reserved in advance), as well as the Official Tournament Program ($5 – with proceeds benefitting The First Tee of Central Ohio). The Presidents Cup Radio allows fans to follow audio from the live television broadcast (Golf Channel and NBC) while watching all the exciting action on site. The Presidents Cup Radio will also broadcast PGA TOUR Radio, available on PGATOUR.COM and SiriusXM PGA TOUR Radio.
- Free WiFi, upgraded restroom trailers, a video board to watch tournament coverage, Lexus and EZ-GO displays, free samples of Nature Valley Granola Bars, a first-aid station, a larger-than-life replica of The Presidents Cup for great photo ops and a visitors’ center provided by a collaboration of the Dublin Convention & Visitor Bureau, Experience Ohio and Ohio Tourism.
All that shopping and interacting is sure to make a fan hungry, and that aspect is more than covered in the Fan Experience Food Court, thanks to local restaurateur Cameron Mitchell and his catering company, Cameron Mitchell Premier Events. Three of Cameron Mitchell’s signature restaurants will be featured – Cap City Fine Diner and Bar, Marcella’s and the Rusty Bucket Restaurant and Tavern – serving unique (for a golf tournament) items such as meatloaf, cupcakes, fried risotto, lasagna, sliders, wings and hummus. In addition, Cameron Mitchell Premier Events is catering the “International Tent,” offering food from the many countries represented by The Presidents Cup history. Not your typical sporting-event fare, fans can tour the world with selections such as vegetable gayoza (spring rolls) from Korea; meat pies from Australia; potatoes bravas from Argentina; and the “Gatsby Roll” from South Africa, which is a griddled bologna sandwich.
Fans of legal drinking age can enjoy refreshments from the Michelob ULTRA Mobile Bar, a high-end, beer-selling station that goes from trailer to bar in minutes. The Michelob ULTRA Mobile Bar features plasma video screens and covered seating, where Michelob ULTRA, Budweiser, Stella Artois and Goose Island IPA will be served as fans take a break and take in all the tournament action (and Fan Experience surroundings).
The Fan Experience includes a performance area with a Concert Series sponsored by vineyard vines Thursday through Saturday – including Columbus’ own "Hat Trick", "The Floorwalkers" and "Conspiracy" – and vineyard vines will sponsor nightly happy hours for fans as they wind down from a day at the course and gear up for the live entertainment. In addition, vineyard vines is offering Presidents Cup merchandise – shirts, belts, ties, accessories, and styles that will be worn by the U.S. Team caddies– within the Merchandise Tent with the company’s signature East Coast twist. The retailer will also provide fans with the opportunity to take a souvenir photo to commemorate their Presidents Cup experience.
Additionally, Closing Ceremony will be held approximately 30 minutes after the conclusion of play on Sunday in the Fan Experience performance area, with speeches from the captains, entertainment that celebrates South Korea, the host country of the next event in 2015, and – of course – The Presidents Cup being officially awarded to the 12 members of the winning team and their captains and captain’s assistants.